Status of the Case:
- This case is a sister case to four other similarly alleged cases:
- Plaintiffs allege that the defined benefit pension plan sponsored by the defendant, a non-profit hospital conglomerate, is not entitled to the Church Plan exemption.
- The complaint was filed on April 1, 2013.
- Defendants filed a Motion to Dismiss on June 17, 2013. Plaintiffs responded and Defendants replied.
- On October 31, 2013, the United States of America intervened.
- On November 4, 2013, the Court heard oral arguments on the Motion to Dismiss and took it under advisement.
- On December 12, 2013, the Court denied the hospital’s motion to dismiss, finding that only churches can bring church plans.
- On March 17, 2014, the Court denied the hospital motion to immediately appeal the motion to dismiss to the 9th circuit.
- Church Plan Exemption
- Motions to Dismiss Filed in Two Church Plan Exemption Cases (June 19, 2013)
- New Lawsuits Claim $2.1+ Billion in Damages – “Catholic” Hospitals Not Entitled to Church Plan Exemption Under ERISA (May 9, 2013)
- Dignity Health
- Doc. 1 – Complaint (April 1, 2013)
- Doc. 41 – Motion to Dismiss (June 17, 2013)
- Doc. 58 – Plaintiffs’ Response to Motion to Dismiss (August 16, 2013)
- Doc. 61 – Defendants’ Reply to Motion to Dismiss (September 16, 2013)
- Doc. 76 – United States of America Notice of Intervention (October 31, 2013)
- Doc. 84 – Order Denying Motion to Dismiss (December 12, 2013)
- Doc. 86 – Answer (January 13, 2014)
- Doc. 102 – Order Denying Interlocutory Appeal (March 17, 2014)
- District Judge Thelton E. Henderson
- Dignity Health
- Herbert J. Vallier
- Members of The Dignity Health Retirement Committee
Attorneys – Plaintiffs:
- Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll, PLLP
- Keller Rohrback, LLP
Attorneys – Defendants:
- Morgan Lewis & Bockius, LLP